I’m still not entirely sure “vacation” is an appropriate descriptor for a trip involving 3 small children and 1 bedraggled mama, but why quibble? I will say that the visit to Memphis was a success.
- We all survived airline travel and didn’t seem to make any lifelong enemies from fellow passengers.
- The kids had a great time with Grandma, Grandpa, Aunty, Uncle and cousin.
- I was able to enjoy three meals out with friends from high school, sans children, with only one “come relieve me of your screaming child” phone call.
- And there was only one day that I seriously contemplated listing my children for sale on Craig’s List.
- Despite days and days of rain, we were able to get out and see some beautiful signs of spring.
Our visit did remind me that there are things I really miss about Memphis:
- the water – artesian well water, better than bottled
- dogwood and cherry trees in bloom
- seeing little girls in smocked dresses on an ordinary Tuesday
It also reminded me of some of the things I don’t miss:
- the politics
- the crazy drivers
- the fact that nobody walks anywhere
There’s little chance we will ever live in Memphis, but I am grateful that my children look forward to returning for a visit. The chance to spent time with Grandma and Grandpa is high on their list of fun and excitement and that means a lot to me.
Lest I forget, GO TIGERS! 🙂