Just got back from the library, where I picked up copies of Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects and Handknit Holidays. Beautiful books filled with enticing projects and designs. Oh to have a collection of my own! I’m glad I can borrow them from the library, but it’s just not the same as owning them. I must admit, I experienced a rather large pang of jealousy as I flipped through my friends’ new books the other night. Given our current state of severe underemployment, I have little choice but to be content with the library’s collection. Some might frown upon my offer to exchange a child for a couple of gorgeous craft books, eh? I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of an order of my first Japanese craft books from YesAsia (Christmas money is a good thing).

Finished the first of Sarah’s new socks. I used one of the patterns from Sensational Knitted Socks (another book I LOVE). The patterns in the book are infinitely adaptable, but I think I adapted a little too much, because this sock looks funny.

Sarah’s sock

The leg is long and the foot is short and stout. I did make the leg long intentionally, with the hope that it would stay on better. No such luck. She is still able to kick that sucker off in no time. Maybe I’ll try some elastic through the cuff. At least I can say that second sock syndrome isn’t nearly as bad with her socks as they were with Brad’s.


The first pair of socks I knit for Sarah were completed shortly before she was born.


They were knit while waiting through countless doctor’s appointments. Throughout the majority of this pregnancy, I had hypertension. Toward the end of the pregnancy, the midwives started to express some concern and had me consult with the OB practice in the same clinic. It was decided that I should switch to the OBs so they could keep a close eye on the blood pressure and decide what needed to be done next. As it turned out, I was admitted to the hospital at 35 weeks 4 days. After three days of a failed induction, I ended up with a C-section. Through the three days of induction I lay in the hospital in a bed, being pumped full of various drugs, holding on to these little socks and picturing the sweet face of my babe. I don’t recommend the process, but the end result has been pretty great! The socks were a big hit with the nurses as they came around to check on my sweet Sarah.